Monday, February 9, 2009

Why?

Why is it that about 6 out of 7 nights I have 2 children that don't just go to sleep when they are put to bed? I have pretty much the same routine (I bathe every other night, but everything else is the same) every night, so it's not like they don't know what's happening! I'm pretty sure that Emma's problem is that she is a.) Still getting used to no pacifier and b.) Michael usually comes out of his room and cries loud in the hallway, leading to her crying. However, I have no idea why Michael feels the need to either come out of his room, or cry and cry and cry until he FINALLY falls asleep! It's getting REALLY frustrating! When will I get to the point where I can just say "okay, go to bed" and they do it?!
Does anyone else have bedtime issues?

4 comments:

Kate said...

oh dear Jennifer, I completely feel for you.. I unfortunately know what it is like.... I don't know if they ever REALLY just go to bed, I've been telling mine for years, most days it works, but there are still times when I go in their rooms 1/2 hr later and find them playing, or watching a movie... it's insane... Dalan is the worst... it's like he can't fall asleep without his music or something..!! I will say that it got much easier when they were about 4 though :)... sorry I didn't have better news!!

Powers Fam said...

Hey Jen, I had a friend whose kid went to day care and the sleep schedule was off due to when they gave the kids naps earlier in the day. Other than that I don't have any special ideas. Julia is good about going to sleep at night. Nap time she usually puts up a fight but is asleep in at least ten minutes or she is "reading" books in bed. Send me your email so I can add you to my blog! snappelina@gmail.com

Carla said...

Yeah with James when he turned 4, is when things became much easier. Andrew is still naughty (he's three) and they share a room so that doesn't really help...

I'm looking forward to a time when, on the weekends maybe, they can get up, fix themselves a bowl of cereal, and watch some cartoons without waking me up! Or maybe when they start feeling the need to sleep past 6:30am. I wonder when that happens?

Emily95661 said...

It's a phase and it will eventually get better. I remember that we would spend two or three hours every night putting Andrew back in his bed (the Super Nanny approach did NOT work at all) and then we finally realized that the only way we could get him to sleep at bed time was to give up nap time during the day. Sydney never napped no matter how hard I tried and when we let her stay up too late she gets really wound up and can't sleep and then keeps Andrew up (they share a room). I know it sounds crazy but if they aren't ready to stop napping, you could try getting them to bed sooner and see if that helps. I guess prayer and endurance is really the only way to get through this. By the way, are you on facebook?