Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Look What the Stork Brought!!!

Last Wednesday was my doctor's appointment. I would've been 40 weeks Thursday. I really thought this baby would be early because of how low I had been feeling through my whole pregnancy! We had hoped he was going to come early because we had a ton of things we were planning that were on hold waiting for baby! Ron was supposed to play in a 1 day golf tournament to qualify for another big tournament, his brother was to be playing in a HUGE tournament to qualify for the Canadian Professional golf tour that he needed Ron to caddy for him, I also wanted to have the baby so I could take him and Michael to the pediatrician at the same time so he could get his check up and Michael could do his preschool physical, and I needed to turn his packet in next week. We figured that if it didn't happen, it didn't happen, but we were hopeful. So, when I went to my doctors appointment, I was hoping to hear that I had progressed from the last 2 weeks. But, no such luck! I was STILL dialated to a 2 and 50% effaced!! By this point, I was past ready to have this baby! So, when the exam was finished, she started talking about inducing when I was a week overdue. I managed to convince her to let me go ahead and induce that week. So, she called the birthing center and they were to call me the next evening (Thursday night). They didn't call, so I called them and after back and forth calling, there were no beds available, but maybe the next morning. Again, after some back and forth calling they finally decided I could come in at 8:30 pm Friday night. About 9:30, they inserted the cervidel (sp?) to get things going. I slept on and off that night and at shift change the next morning around 8, the nurse checked me and I had dialated to a 4 and was having regular contractions so there was no need to start pitocin! But that meant that it was time for epidural!! :o) After the epidural, the doctor came in and broke my water, removed the cervidel, and I told him that I go fast. Conference came on at 9, so we had that on. I could feel the contractions and was having pain on my right side, so they came in and gave me another shot of medicine and had me lay on my right side. After awhile, I got tired of laying on that side, so I switched over to the other side. When I did that, the monitors moved, so they came in to readjust. The nurse told me that when she put the monitor on it was really low. I asked if they would check me, so my regular nurse came in shortly after that and said "You're a +1 and can start pushing!" I was SO shocked because normally I feel my body pushing automatically, but I didn't feel that with this one! I just felt the pressure of the contractions. Before they checked me, almost everyone that was in the room had left to go do whatever they were doing, so we got on the phones and told them to come back! They got the room all set up, got the doctor and a few pushes later, out came Brock Aiden Killmer weighing in at 9 lbs 12 oz 21 1/2 in long! My biggest baby by almost 2 lbs!!! AND he has dark black hair!!! If the nurses had taken the baby out of the room, I would've belived he was switched at birth! He is such a good baby! He sleeps all the time and most of the night!

Dr. Gregory Klis, the on call doctor who also delivered Michael. My daytime nurse, Shari. She was SUPER nice!

Grandma & Grandpa Smesh and Grandma Killmer


Grandma Pitts

Grandpa Pitts

Michael meeting his baby brother. He was SOOOOO excited! He LOVES his little brother and doesn't want to leave him EVER!


He would NOT stop smiling!

Emma was a little more timid, but was VERY concerned about her brother and HATED to see him cry!

Cousins came to visit, too! The kids had spent the night with Ryan & Amanda and they brought them after the first session of conference.

First bath.

On the way home!




First bath at home!



This week has been pretty good, but a little hard at the same time. Ron ended up playing in his tournament the day I was to come home from the hospital, so my parents came to take me home. I went to their house because they were going to make Sunday dinner. After Ron was done, he stopped by to grab the suitcase we used at the hospital, went home to pack, came back to my parents house, said goodbye and left to go to Palm Springs to be with his brother. It's not the ideal way to start with a new baby, but I'm glad that he is able to be with his brother and help him out. Also, his mom has been here to help me and stay with me while I recouporate! I've also been fortunate to have dinners being brought in by the wonderful ladies in the ward and am set up through Friday! And so far they've all been DELICIOUS!!

3 comments:

Powers Fam said...

Congrats Jen!!!! He is precious. This is the month of babies and apparently big ones! My friend had a 9lb 14oz baby yesterday and he arrived a week and a half early! So glad you have lots of help!

Carla said...

Such a sweet, cute, big guy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I love his name, both Brock and Aiden are on my list of names I love.