Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Help!!!

For the 3 of you that read my blog, I need some advice! Michael is now sleeping in a toddler bed and has been for about 4-5 months now. He had been doing fine for the longest time, just the occasional get up and open the door, but he knew that if he came out of his room, he'd get in trouble, so most of the time he'd fall asleep in the doorway. Not that big of a deal. But lately, he has been coming out of his room more and more and it's taken over an hour to get him to fall asleep! I have tried EVERYTHING! I've tried being mean and spanking, I've tried being nice and talking to him about how he needs to close his eyes & go to sleep. I've tried NOT talking to him and just watching him walk back to his room, but it's SOOOOOO frustrating, because it's up, down, up, down, up down. Some days he even cries like he's hurt and it makes me feel bad and I want to just stay in there while he falls asleep, but I'm afraid that if I do that every night, it will be worse in the long run, because he will think that I'm going to stay in there every night. I just don't understand why it's so difficult at night for him. He does't have this problem during naps. I have the same routine every night, so he knows the pattern, but doesn't give me a hard time until after prayers/kisses & I get up to leave. I've also tried leaving the night light on (thinking he was scared of the dark), I've tried turning it off, I've tried leaving the door open, and shutting it. Tonight I'm trying soft music, but it doesn't seem to help since it's 9:30 and he's been doing this since 8:15. I've thought about putting him back in a crib, but since he's been out of one for so long, I don't really want to do that to him. Anyway, if anyone has ANY advice, PLEASE let me know!!! I'm going crazy!!!

2 comments:

Carianne said...

Isaac has really been my only escaper so far but this is what I do. I tell him that it is bedtime and everyone is going to sleep but he can play in his room with the door shut and when he is tired he needs to turn off the light and go to sleep. I figured that maybe he just wasn't tired and I'd rather not fight. It works. He now will just go put himself to bed when he is tired for naps and at night. Sweet huh! I love it. The only ones I fight with to get to sleep is the girls and usually it is because they are girl talking. So to solve that Alexis goes to bed 1/2 hour earlier than Alyssa and then on the weekends they can girl talk all night. My kids go to bed kinda late too, cause I'd rather them be up playing late so that I can sleep in in the morning. By 10:00 is usually when I get everyone down and they sleep til 9 or 10 in the morning. Good Luck! Oh and I LOVE the picture of Mom and Emma.

Powers Fam said...

Julia will be 2 on June 24th and I still have her in a crib so I don't have much advice for you. She hasn't bothered to try to escape from the crib so I have left her there. We plan to skip the toddler bed and go straight to a twin bed. It is all ready to go in her room with the rails set up now it is just a matter of when. I'm with Carianne, I am not up to fighting with Julia. She also goes to bed late. Maybe if you tried the crib again he would figure it out that if he leaves his room he gets the crib instead of his bed. Good luck Jen!