Sunday, July 12, 2009

Ockey Family Reunion 2009

We just got back a couple hours ago from our camping trip. We left about 2 pm Thursday and got in around 5, set up camp and headed to find some food. (Ryan & Amanda weren't coming till later and my parents came the next day, so we didn't worry about dinner that night.) We went to Andersen's Pea Soup. I had been to the one near Clovis before, but it's been a long time. The food was pretty good, however, I wanted to try their famous pea soup. It was decent and I gave the kids a bite, also, but they didn't like it. Just after we finished, I look at Michael and he has "the look". I rush him to the bathroom only to find that he didn't make it. I sat him on the toilet, threw his underwear away (didn't want to mess with packing THAT around all weekend), got him dressed w/o underwear and as I'm washing my hands he says "Mommy, I'm pooping!" Sure enough, there it was! I'll spare you details, but it wasn't clean! I had to get Ron's somehow to have him look in the gift shop for something to wear. When I poked my head out the door, there was a table of cops right there and one of them stood by the door so I could let Ron know what was going on. He went to the gift shop and came back with a large sweatshirt and had gone to the car and got Emma's diapers. When he brought me the stuff, he gave me Emma who had also had some issues! Of course there was NO changing table, so I laid out some paper towels on the ground and changed her there. I had some issues later, so I'm guessing that the pea soup was NOT the best choice! I guess I have once again been christened as a parent! The next day we cooked up a yummy campfood breakfast and checked out the beach that was near by. We didn't swim, just looked around. After that, we headed down toward Santa Barbara and stopped at Kmart for a couple of things, fed the kiddos, had to go get more underwear and shorts for Michael since he had another accident (pee this time) and finally got on the road to Santa Barbara. We met up with my parents there, had some lunch, walked around a little, then headed back to camp. We cooked up more yummy food (hamburgers, hot dogs & brauts) and sat and chatted with our other family members. Later, we made s'mores (of course! what would camping be without s'mores?!). Yesterday was a lazy day of hanging out, talking with family, we did go to the beach and the kids had fun playing in the ocean (mostly running away from the waves) and getting sunburned! Nothing too serious, but we're all a little pink! That night was a chili cookoff. My mom didn't win, but hers was pretty good! We ended our trip this morning, packed up and headed out to be home in time for Ron to go to work. The kids did pretty good. Emma had a hard time falling asleep at night and would cry for awhile, the air matress was not comfortable, and we missed out on some other family members we would've liked to have seen, but all in all it was a great trip! I hope Ron didn't have too awful of a time and that we can do it again sometime, but not until Emma's a little older so that we don't have to deal with a crying sleepy baby! I'll post pictures when I download them.

5 comments:

Carla said...

Sounds like you had an adventure!

Powers Fam said...

where did you go camping?

KillmerFam said...

We camped at Gaviota State Park. It wasn't that great of a campsite. The sites were really close together and it got pretty crowded over the weekend. I had pictured it to be more like where I went as a kid in Morro Bay with lots of trees and a more secluded campsite, but it was okay. I probably wouldn't go back. They tried to get Morro, but it was sold out, and then they tried Refugio, but someone beat them out, so they ended up with this one.

Powers Fam said...

THAT IS THE AREA THAT I WORK. I NEVER REALLY LIKED GAVIOTA AS A GOOD CAMPING PLACE EITHER. I WISH THEY WOULD PLANT MORE TREES. IT JUST ISNT BIG ENOUGH AND THERE IS NOT REALLY ANY HIKING TRAILS. I STILL AM REALLY JEALOUS. I WOULD LOVE TO GO CAMPING ANYWHERE!!!!

KillmerFam said...

It was alright, and we had a good time. It got pretty windy at night and it was really dirty during the day (but that's going to be anywhere). More trees would definately help! And the ocean was filthy! We had a good time, none the less! If I can talk Ron into going camping again, we'll probably find somewhere else to go!