Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Phone Call You DON'T Want to Get!

So, it was shortly after 5pm and I was at work putting away the stock (I work at a jewelery store) when the phone rang. I answered it "Stockdale Jewelers..." and I hear Ron's voice asking for Jennifer Killmer. So I said "What's up?" and he said, "I didn't know if I should call you at work, or wait 'till you get home." So I asked again "What's going on?" And he proceeds to tell me that he just had to give Emma the Heimlich manuever! WHAT?! He said that she was sitting on the ground by our fireplace and she found a little rock from inside the fireplace (which had to have been on the floor for some time because Michael hasn't gotten in it in a LONG time!) and it got stuck. He said he could see her just gasping to get air. Luckilly, Ron's been trained in First Aid and was able to get her breathing again! So scary! He said that it took him awhile to calm down and stop shaking so he could even dial to call me! I had wished I was there for her, but I'm also glad that I wasn't just because I worry that I wouldn't be able to think clearly! I would hope in that situation I would know what to do, but am glad I haven't come to that yet! i just fear for the future since she's only 9 months old and has already almost choked! On a brighter note, she went to the doctor yesterday for her 9 mth check-up and she comes in at 16 1/2 lbs, 27 in long. Everything looks good, but the doctor did find an ear infection, so she's on Amoxicilin.

1 comment:

Carianne said...

I'm proud of Ronnie that he was able to do it and not just freak out! I have had to do that a few times. Scary! Love the pictures. Glad to hear you had a good trip. Hope to visit with you soon. Just trying to figure out life right now. Pretty busy over here. Don't know when I will be able to breathe! :o)