Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Relay for Life!

Saturday, April 30th was Relay for Life! I look forward to going every year. It's my chance to celebrate the fact that I still have my mom here with me! I know not everyone is able to say that, but I'm SO grateful that I can! This event is HUGE!! It is THE largest in the nation! This year they raised over $2 million to contribute to finding a cure for cancer!! They have booths upon booths set up by various groups/businesses with raffles, food, crafts, etc! It's such a great event and I recommend going! Plus it's for a good cause! Ron had planned to come with me since I had to leave pretty early in the morning and didn't want to fight 3 kids, but he woke up in the middle of the night sick, so I was able to get myself AND the kids ready all by myself and get out of the house by 7:30am!! I was impressed! The event had been held at CSUB in the past, but they changed it this year to this place off of Old River & south of Taft hwy!! It was a long ways, but a lot larger than the school. There just wasn't as much shade! Luckily, it was a pretty cool weekend, so were weren't burning up!


They always have a "Survivor" lap to kick off the relay first after some stories and introductions. The young children diagnosed with cancer pile on an old firetruck and go first, then the rest of the group goes. If you can't walk well, they have people driving golf carts so you can participate.

LOVE that sea of purple! All the survivors!!


Our surviors! My mom and my Aunt Teresa!!






I thought this was funny!


They also have a kid area where you buy a bracelet and they have a bunch of bouce houses, slides & obsticle courses. Emma had had a long couple of days and was pretty tired, so she was crying over EVERYTHING! We didn't stay in the area too long, mainly because they had to use the restroom and they were too tired to stay much longer. They both fell asleep before I pulled out of the parking lot and I had to wake them up to go to Costco to get stuff for Brocks blessing, which was the next day! Michael is usually pretty good, but Emma was REALLY upset and cried throughout Costco! LOUD! I finally was able to calm her down so I didn't get as many people staring!




I LOVE YOU, MOM!!

No comments: